Monday, December 12, 2011

The "It Wouldn't be Christmas without Eggnog" Eggnog Recipe


What kind of a drink blog would this be if we didn't do an eggnog post at Christmas?
 I would argue, we would not be a very good one.

I know not everyone loves eggnog. (Actually, our very own Adam G of TheAdams Friday Column is one of those people). But, I also know that there are a significant number of "eggnog-ers" out there, and so this one is for you.

There are so many variations on eggnog.
The store bought kind, great in a pinch.
The flavored kind, fun for the experimental types.
And then there's good, ol' fashioned eggnog, simply delicious

Most eggnog lovers have their own recipe, and even their own secret to making it the best. And as a fellow eggnog-er, I'm going to share my favorite recipe yet.

There's no crazy ingredient, and no sentimental story to go behind it, but it's delicious and that's enough for me. I used the recipe from here, with a couple tweaks.


Here's what you need:
4 egg yolks
1/2 c sugar
2 c milk (I used 1% and it tasted great)
2 whole cloves
pinch of cinnamon
1 c cream (half pint is exactly one cup)
1 t ground nutmeg
1 t vanilla extract
** may add Bourbon, Rum, or Brandy to taste. For adults only, please.

Here's how to do it:

1. Separate 4 egg yolks from their egg whites. (If you've never done this, just toss the yolk back and forth between the to sides of the shell, dropping the whites into one bowl until only the yolk is left). Put the 4 yolks into their own bowl and beat with a mixer or by hand.


2. Gradually add in the sugar. Whisk until fluffy. Set aside.


3. In a medium sauce pan, combine the milk, cloves and cinnamon. (the recipe calls for a pinch of cinnamon, but I always add a bit more). Stir constantly.  Heat over medium until steaming.


4. Next, pour half of the milk mixture over egg mixture, stirring constantly. When combined, pour in the remaining amount, continue stirring.


5. When fully combined, pour back into the saucepan. Cook over medium heat, again, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon. Make sure it reaches 160 degrees if you have a thermomater, if not, just be sure it is thickening a bit until the back of the spoon is coated. Don't let it boil.


6. Remove from heat, stir in cream. Let cool for 1 hour.
(I put it in the fridge for 20-30 minutes because I was on a time crunch and it worked out just fine).


7. Add in the nutmeg and vanilla. (again, I'm always pretty generous with the vanilla also). Be sure to strain the eggnog to get those cloves out too.
**you would add the alcohol here if you are opting to do so.


8. Chill then serve.

It took about 30 minutes to make, and yielded about 4 servings. 4. delicious. servings.

Ok, now it's only fair for you to share your famous-secret-sentimental eggnog recipes.


Ready, Go.

Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. So, I'm totally digging your blog. I stumbled across it a week or two ago and have decided I don't have enough drinks in my life. I've made maple whipped cream and The pear cranberry sparkled and loved them both! I think I'll try some eggnog next!

    ReplyDelete