Wednesday, December 7, 2011

DIY Bottle Scarves

Have you guys seen bottle scarves around during your holiday shopping? 
Let me show you what I'm talking about...





The first time I saw one was at Crate and Barrel. Too cute, right? 
And who's bottles don't need scarves around the holidays?  
But I left the store bottle-scarf-less. 
And the more I thought about it, 
the more I regretted that decision

So I thought about it for a bit more, and decided I would try to just make it with things we had around. And I must say, I was pretty pleased with the final result. 
So much so, that I wanted to share it with you.

If your bottles need scarves like ours did,  

here's what you need:
some kind of wool (I used old sweaters) or felt would probably work too.
a button
scissors
a needle and thread 
(don't let that needle and thread scare you. My sewing "skills" are so limited, and I made out just fine).

Here's how to do it:

 First cut your material into a 1 3/4" x 11" strip.


 Second, cut fringe. 
Be sure to not cut too small because you can pull a piece of fringe off really easily leaving a big hole.


 Third, wrap it around the bottle you're making it for and see where the button and button hole need to go. Mark this on the material with a pen or marker.


 Fourth, cut a slit into the fabric for the button hole (make sure it is just a bit smaller then the button, I just eye-balled it).




Fifth, sew the button onto the front of the material.




Lastly, try that baby onto the neck of it's new owner (the bottle, not you). 
Button to secure.  
Voila!

Great to adorn a bottle of wine or sparkling cider for a hostess gift, or a fun addition to a stocking stuffer (For instance, I'm sure Kirst would love to find an Izze with a scarf around it in her stocking this year--maybe she'll miss seeing it in this post?).


Now are you convinced your bottle's neck is missing something?

Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. Look at you and your crafty self. My mom has tons of wool/old sweaters on hand in her sewing room...so we should try this! Thanks for the idea.

    ReplyDelete