Thursday, December 1, 2011

BITES: Chocolate Whiskey Ice Cream Balls

First, I'm really excited about December.
We have some really fun holiday recipes and gift ideas coming up for you guys!

Second, we're starting December off with a fantastic dessert appetizer for your adults-only holiday party.
The combination of chocolate and whiskey paired down into bite size treats make it the sweet tooth's (and her man's) perfect dessert.


I had the idea of doing chocolate whiskey candies while trying to figure out what to do for my Gifts for Guys guest post on Kojo Designs . So I bought all of the ingredients for it and was planning to make Chocolate Whiskey Truffles.

But as I was making them they didn't turn out like I planned
(I'm pretty sure it's because I added extra Whiskey).
I'm not telling you this to sell out my cooking skills,
Im telling you this because it's the fun part of cooking,
it's creative, and it's ok if it's not perfect.
In this case, I think these turned out better than I hoped!

OK, so if you want to make these Chocolate Whiskey Truffles turned Chocolate Whiskey Ice Cream Balls yourself, I'm going to show you how:

Here's what you need:
12 oz bittersweet chocolate chips (I used mini so they melted easier)
2/3 c whipping cream
1/4 c unsalted butter, softened
4 T Whiskey (or 5 for whiskey lovers)
Hersheys or Smuckers Magic Shell (ice cream topping that hardens)


Here's how to do it:

First, simmer the whipping cream over medium-high heat until hot.
Meanwhile, place the chocolate chips in a separate bowl.
When the cream is hot, pour over the chocolate, stirring until melted.
 Be sure to use a bowl that can tolerate extreme temperatures--I used a glass one.
Add in the butter.
And then the whiskey.
Stir until smooth.
(I put it in the microwave for 20 seconds just to finish melting the butter)

When it is all melted and smooth, put bowl into the freezer until it is firm and moldable, but not hard--about 30 minutes.

Then roll into 1 inch balls and place onto a cookie sheet covered in wax paper
Then put back into freezer to firm up again.
They will get messier and harder to form as you go because they're warming up.
Try to keep smoothing them out as much as possible, but they won't be perfect.

(Also, I didn't use all of the chocolate. If you have some left over, or want to make a double batch, set aside, not in the freezer, and I'll show you another great dessert to use it for, in the next few days).

 
When firm again, pour the Magic Shell topping into a bowl
Roll each ball into the topping until completely coated.
Set on the cookie sheet and place back into freezer until serving time.



 


So chocolatey. So rich. Sooo good.



Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. Whiskey truffles- awesome!
    Using magic shell is such a great fast way to make a quick truffle shell!! so cool! I love your blog and just wanted to pop in and say hi! I am starting a bloghop inspired by chocolate, I would love if you submitted a recipe to it!

    ReplyDelete